Admission process for master’s course
This is a general introduction to application procedure and subject to change. Please follow instructions given in application forms before preparing and sending your application.
Departments and Admission Capacity
- Department of Urban Design, Planning, and Disaster Management – Limited
- Department of Architecture – Limited
Qualifications for Application
- Applicants must not be citizens of Japan, and are required to satisfy one of the following qualifications.
- Qualification (1): Those who have completed 16 years of formal education or who expect to complete 16 years of formal education by March.
- Qualification (2): Those who are evaluated by the Kyushu University Graduate School of Human-Environment Studies, through an Individual Screening of Requirements for Admission*, to have an academic ability equal to or surpassing that of individuals who have graduated from a university.
- Those who wish to apply in accordance with the above qualification (2) are required to undergo an individual evaluation of their academic ability, and therefore must first notify the Student Affairs Section Office of the Graduate School of Human-Environment Studies, Kyushu University
- Applications are available in the course home page from October every year.
- Courses commence April every year. (Next April 2015)
- Other deadlines will be announced with applications.
- See university announcements for more information.
- Applications will not be accepted until payment has been received.
- The amount and the payment methods will be announced with applications. (2014 Application fee: 30,000 Yen). Note: Fees are subject to change.
Documents to be submitted
- Download all application materials from: http://arch.kyushu-u.ac.jp/saus/download/
- All applicants are required to send or bring the following documents to the Student Affairs Section Office of the Graduate School of Human-Environment Studies during the application period.
- Application Form for Admission/Educational Background (use provided forms).
- A certified copy in English or Japanese of bachelor’s degree (or expectation of graduation).
- A certified copy of official transcript in English or Japanese from undergraduate department of previous university or professional school.
- A photocopy of the receipt or result page of the Application Fee.
- A copy of the applicant’s bachelor’s degree thesis. Bachelor’s degree thesis is NOT NECESSARY for those applying in accordance with Qualifications for Application (2).
- Summary of Bachelor’s Thesis (use provided form). The summary must be written in English on the provided form, and not exceed 2,000 English words. This document is NOT NECESSARY for those applying in accordance with Qualifications for Application (2).
- Research Proposal (use provided form). Research proposal must be written in English on the provided form, and not exceed 2,000 English words.
- Two recommendations written in English or Japanese
- Summary of Research Accomplishments (use provided form) for those applying in accordance with Qualifications of Application (2).
- All applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit TOEFL score with applications as a proof of English language proficiency. There is no minimum score requirement.
Method of Assessing Applicants
- All Applicants will be evaluated based on the submitted documents including recommendations. Applicants may be requested to take an oral examination if admission committee finds it necessary.
Announcement of the Results
- The results will be posted on the notice board of the Graduate School of Human-Environment Studies.
- Only successful applicants will receive the admission notice by regular mail. Please note that telephone inquiries regarding examination results will be declined.
- All documents necessary for enrollment procedures will be sent to successful applicants around the beginning of February.
- Registration period: From mid to late February
- Fees to be paid at time of enrollment. Tuition fees are to be paid after completing the enrollment procedures.
- Applicants can download application materials from the following homepage.
- Download location: http://arch.kyushu-u.ac.jp/saus/download/
- Changes to application documents cannot be made once they have been submitted.